There are lots of speculations going around about meditation because of the rise in mental health issues during this pandemic time. What exactly meditation is? Meditation refers to varied techniques that help people in connecting themselves to their deep inner selves. Human beings have 3 vital aspects which are as follows: Physical body, Inner faculty (changing consciousness and deep inner self (non-changing consciousness)
The human body experiences waking, dreaming, and deep sleep state of consciousness. In the first two stages of consciousness, the inner faculty is not functioning but during deep sleep, the inner faculty does not function and the humans will not be experiencing any kind of emotions other than inner peace. In other words, there will be the realization of a deeper inner self. Mediation helps in realizing the deeper inner self while humans are awake. Once realization occurs, there will be no emotions associated other than inner peace.
Meditation has been perceived by everyone to confer mental well-being. In addition to sound mental health, meditation confers physiological benefits thereby helping people to maintain sound physical health.
1. Speaking about physiological benefits, there will be a decrease in blood pressure, cholesterol levels which ultimately leads to reduction in cardiovascular diseases. Breathing exercises help in the improved functioning of the lungs.
2. Psychological benefits constitute the most important part of meditation. The levels of stress, anxiety, depression will be reduced in a significant manner when the person starts practicing meditation. The release of negative emotions ultimately leads to a better quality of life. The individual’s mental health will be improved which ultimately improves his/her cognitive ability and workability.
Meditation can be done by anyone and everyone. There is no need for personnel, types of equipment, or membership to practice meditation. Any of the techniques which serve the purpose of connecting body and soul can be chosen by the individuals. Consistent effort in meditation will do wonders in improving the quality of human lives.
TECHNIQUES OF MEDITATION
- Transcendental Meditation
- Vipassana meditation
- Yoga meditation.
- Relaxation response
- Clinically Standardized Meditation
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Walking meditation
- Vibration meditation
- Body Scan meditation
- Breath and Navel meditation
- Central Channel Meditation
Microcosmic Orbit Meditation